Andy Nguyen’s story is proof that the American dream is alive and attainable by all Americans. Born in Vietnam, a country ravaged by war for decades and controlled by the Communist Party, he and his family escaped by small boat to the sea. In 1981, they arrived in the United States after a dangerous journey – Andy was fifteen years old.
Despite the challenge of learning a new language and culture, Andy thrived, finishing high school with his peers and working as a restaurant dishwasher after school.
He joined the Kentucky National Guard, completed training in the Army Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC), and was commissioned as a Field Artillery Officer in the United States Army.
Andy graduated from the University of Kentucky with a degree in Business Management, completed Army officer training in Oklahoma, and moved to Texas in 1992.
Starting out in Texas business as a manager of a Fort Worth based telecommunications company, Andy soon started his own company, AIT Technologies. Blessed with success, he then put his energies into inspiring other immigrants to embrace the American dream, like his own weekly talk show on Saigon Radio, 1600 AM, which he continues today.
In 2010, Andy was elected to the Tarrant County Commissioners Court, becoming the first Asian American to serve in an elected office in Tarrant County government.
Andy is a man of service – demonstrated through his long list of current and past community positions.
- Board of directors of the North Central Texas Council of Governments (NCTCOG)
- Board member of the Tarrant County Housing Finance Corporation
- Board member of the Public Employees Benefits Cooperative Board
- Board member of the Tarrant County Industrial Board
- Chair of Tarrant County’s eGovernment Committee and prior co-chair of the IT Steering Committee
- Member of the board of directors of the Southeast Tarrant Transportation Partnership
- Serves on the Arlington-Mansfield Salvation Army advisory board
- Serves on the Catholic Charities board
- Member of the board of directors of the Arlington Chamber of Commerce and continues to serve as an Ex-Officio Board Member
- Member of the Arlington Rotary Club
- Member and involved with the Fort Worth, Grand Prairie, Kennedale and Mansfield Chambers of Commerce
- Served as the 2015 chair of the Vietnamese American Leadership Summit in Washington D.C.
- Chairman and President of the Vietnamese-American Community of Tarrant County from 2002 to 2009
- Received the Community & Leadership award from the Tarrant County Asian American Chamber of Commerce
- President of the Texas Asian American Republican Assembly
- Creator of the National Organization for Vietnamese American Leadership
Andy, a devout Catholic and a devoted family man, lives in Arlington with his wife, Julie Vu, and their three children.